This week, I am sharing a vegan recipe I found in one of my favorite vegan blogs called, VGANJAR. I’m calling this recipe Choco Coco Cupcakes to somewhat simplify it from it’s original name, Chocolate-Coconut Butterfly Buns. This dessert recipe is very simple yet impressive. It’s not too sweet like a lot of cupcakes we get from stores and it looks and tastes amazing.
2 tbsp. applesauce
1 tsp. pure vanilla
1 cup coconut milk
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbsp. coconut oil, softened (olive oil, if not available)
3 tbsp. toasted coconut flakes
2 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips, crushed (optional)
2. Mix the coconut milk and apple cider vinegar - set aside to curdle.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking power, baking soda and sea salt. Set aside.
4. In another bowl, stir together the agave, oil, applesauce and vanilla - gradually mix in the sugar until everything is smooth. Pour in the curdled coconut milk and slowly combine everything. Now add in the flour mixture into this, a little at a time, and stir.
5. Scoop into your muffin tin and bake for 15 minutes.
6. After baking, cool on a rack for 20 minutes. When cool, take a knife and cut out a circle in the middle of each bun. There should be a little ditch in the bun, but don’t scoop all the way to the bottom. Pour in coconut icing* and sprinkle some crushed chocolate chips on top. ENJOY!
*Mix powdered sugar, coconut oil, and coconut flakes together until smooth.
Happy Healthy Tip of the week: Buy local and organic food.
If you want a quick and easy way to jumpstart your healthy lifestyle you should start buying local and organic food. Buying local and organic food increases health benefits due to higher vitamin and nutrient content in the produce that comes from the healthy fertile soils. Also, there’s less impact on the environment when packing and delivering organic and local food. And, you get to support local farmers and local economy. Lastly, the exceptional taste of organic food will inspire you to cook and eat healthier. I do know sometimes, it costs a little more to buy organic but in the long run, it’ll cost you less when it comes to hospital bills in the future.
Today, I’m excited to share with you another happy healthy recipe but this time it’s not for breakfast, lunch or dinner but for DESSERT! That’s right, dessert that is healthy, guilt-free and still very easy to make. I’m pretty sure most of us like — if not LOVE — dessert. One thing to remember when you’re trying to be healthy while eating what you love is to try to substitute ingredients with less or non-fat and natural or organic. The RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE PIE dessert was inspired by another blog, http://www.thehealthyfoodie.net
RASPBERRY CHOCOLATE PIE (easy) makes 6-8 servings
Filling and pie crust
1 ripe avocado
2 cups non-fat plain Greek yogurt
¾ cup Ghirardhelli cocoa baking powder
¼ cup agave sweetener
3 tbsp honey
¼ tsp salt
Splash pure vanilla extract
1 graham cracker pie crust
1. Add all the ingredients to the bowl of your food processor and process until smooth and creamy, about one minute.
2. Transfer to the graham cracker pie crust.
Raspberry and chocolate drizzle
2 packs organic raspberries
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp Ghirardelli cocoa baking powder
1 tbsp honey
1. Arrange the raspberries as tight as you possibly can on top of the chocolate custard, starting in the middle and working your way towards the outside of the pie, working in circles.
2. When the pie is entirely covered, put it in the refrigerator to set for at least two hours.
3. To make the chocolate drizzle, add the cocoa powder, melted coconut oil and honey to a small mixing bowl, and mix delicately with a whisk or fork, until smooth.
4. Carefully drizzle over pie.
Happy Healthy Tip of the week: Try not to say you want to “lose weight” or “diet.”
If you want temporary results then go ahead, keep saying those ugly words. When you’re ready to take it to the next level and change your lifestyle, then start replacing those words with “eat healthy” and “live healthy.” I bet you if you start to eat more fruits and fiber instead of cookies for breakfast, you’d lose weight in a week. And, instead of spending an hour watching TV, spend it on an hour of workout whether it be Bar method, cardio or yoga, you’d feel so much better about yourself and your health.